Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Super Cool

Greetings, gracious and biased fans! Today is the day where I show you my wondrous acquisition. Behold! A Virtual Boy!

Yes, I actually bought a Nintendo Virtual Boy on eBay. It was kind of a pain to get (like many things on there), but here it is in it's full glory. Hoo-rah!

As you can see, it comes with a perfectly good stand, controller, and headset. I also got Mario's Tennis, Mario Clash, Galactic Pinball, and Nester's Funky Bowling. Plus, Wario Land is on its way as we speak. What fun!

Now, the system I got is not perfect, and I may end up returning it and buying another one, because one of the screens is glitchy. You see, the system gives the player a great sense of 3-d by having two separate screens, each displaying a slightly different view of the scene. For example, I took two pictures of the title screen on Mario's Tennis, one from each "eye." When you combine the images, it gives you the sense of 3-D. And it actually works quite well.


You can see how the word Tennis seems much closer than Mario does. The 3-D view works great in Mario's Tennis, since the ball actually seems closer or farther depending on where it is.

The other games also work great. Mario Clash has a mini-game where you collect coins flying at you. You run and jump to collect them, based on where they are in the air.

In short, the system is loads of fun. It's too bad it never took off. I guess people hated having to play it on a table, and others hated having their eyes get sore from looking into a pure red screen for hours. But I've always enjoyed it. My brother had one of these once, and he mounted in on a hat, so you could wear it and take it anywhere. That was about the best idea ever. I may consider doing the same.

Well, friends, that's the big surprise I was waiting to show you. I hope ya love it! Cause I do.

-benjamines

Currently Playing: Mario Clash, Galactic Pinball, Mario's Tennis

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hehe, yay! I'm glad you were able to find one. Hopefully you'll be able to get it to work a little better, or at least return it and get a better one :) I love you!

Funluvinchick said...

That is so awesome, Ben! 3-D is so fun to look at! Have fun getting lost in the world of 3-D-ishness!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you got your hands on one of those! That is wicked cool! Hey, I got Landon's old version of Mario Tennis (I think), ya know, in case you want another one.