Friday, October 10, 2008

Super Turbo Megaman Wartime Battle Internet Wireless Network Combo No. 5 Doubling of the Teams Dual Screen Video Game Survival Device Time Game

Let it be known that I, benjamines, have conquered the 5th chapter of the Megaman Battle Network series. And, I beat it in a record 16 hours and 56 minutes. In comparison, the others took me close to 30 hours for each one.

Ok, ok. So I used an Action Replay (cheating device). But think about it. If I wouldn't have used it, this game would have easily taken me more like 35-40 hours. Given my recent undertaking of beating 108 games in a single year, I can hardly spend that much time playing 1 game (though I must admit, there have been a couple of toilet sessions that have come close to that).

Potty humor aside, Megaman Battle Network 5 Double Team DS (yes, that's its actual title), is a decent game. It combines both of the GBA versions into one, letting you play both (essentially identical with different characters) versions. See, the part I love about the Megaman Battle Network series is the story. While cheesy at times, it's often exciting and fun. The part that starts to get old, however, is the random battles. I can only kill so many mettaurs.

In any case, the story involves Lan (the main character) and Megaman (his internet avatar, so to speak) as they foil the plans of Dr. Regal (Dr. Wily's son). Regal wants to use SoulNet, a method of digitizing human souls, to send the world into a downward spiral of hate and malice. Sounds awesome.

As always, Megaman runs around the digital world and conquers bad guys and beats the crap out of random viruses. Don't expect much of the gameplay to change.

One thing that is new, however, is the Party Battle System. In previous MMBN games, when you beat a boss, you got his battle chip if you beat them fast enough. (For those unfamiliar, a Battle Chip is essentially an attack used in battle). In this version, you can get their chips, plus some of your allies give you their Navi to use in battle. It lets them help you with their special moves.

Additionally, this game has a set of missions called Liberation Missions. You play on a certain map, and conquer squares and make your way to the Boss. Sort of Risk-esque, but not really. It is pretty fun, though.

So, all in all, I think the game is fun. I will say that it is the hardest of the first 5 MMBN games (out of 6). I used the Action Replay to make me invincible, and to be able to kill smaller enemies in 1 hit. Even then, it took me 17 hours to beat. So, I think it's safe to say it would also be the longer MMBN game, if you were to do it without cheating (or Helping, as I like to call it).

In any case, I would say that it's a good game for Battle Network fans, and a decent game for others. If you want to experience the best of the MMBN series, I would definitely recommend the first one. Now THAT was a good game.

Good crap
  • Megaman and Lan (and others) have voices!
  • Classic Megaman Battle Network gameplay
  • A good and exciting storyline
Bad crap
  • Megaman and Lan's voices sound like 30-year olds (they're 11 in the game)
  • Same ol' Megaman Battle Network gameplay
  • Too difficult and too lengthy (for me, anyways)

This game has earned a Blatantly Biased:

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hehe, nice title ;) I really liked watching you play this game, it was hard for me to get to sleep because I just wanted to watch you, hehe :) I'm so glad you are getting closer to beating 108 games this year. How exciting! :) It will be fun to play that Zelda game together, yay! :) I love you!!

Devin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Devin said...

Man, I love this series. Let it be known, though, that after hearing about your recent accomplishment, I felt that I needed to play my copy of Battle Network 3 again, after over three years of not touching it. I started at probably 12:30am and finally decided to stop at about 5:35 this morning. And it was awesome! I got unstuck, and now I'm even more stuck! I'm also convinced that I am at the part that you said that I would get stuck at, too. I hope it doesn't take another three years to beat this one, too...